Brief; why is it essential for a business company? In this article, we will tell you how to make a brief tool you can use in your business.
Any project requires planning, setting goals and objectives, and recognizing which resources you have and which you don’t. In marketing, all this information must be collected and systematized to set the course for decision-making when executing said planning. It is how a good brief takes center stage.
What is brief?
Translated into Spanish, the words brief or briefing acquire different meanings. The brief can mean instructions, report, quick or short. All the denominations fit with the characteristics by which a briefing is defined.
A brief is a communication tool between marketing providers and companies or ventures. This document is characterized by being a personalized and concise report.
Likewise, the brief gathers and organizes information about a project, product, or service. It establishes specific goals, expectations, what the company is looking for, for what purpose, through what means, stipulated deadlines, etc.
With the help of a questionnaire, it is possible to obtain important data about the brand, the product, the market, and essential information from the brief.
What is the brief for?
The brief serves as a starting point and as a guide since, due to its descriptive and instructive quality, it not only allows planning the path towards the realization of an objective but it is also considered the first step of the project: this is where the ideas are spell out on paper.
Whoever reads the briefing will find all the information about the client and the project. The more detailed and relevant the data, the easier it will be to draw up strategies to materialize the stipulated goals.
The brief speeds up the work plan and allows a better result to be obtained, one that is closer to the client’s expectations.
Types of briefs
The brief is commonly used in advertising and communication but is not exclusive to these sectors. It also applies to other areas where it is necessary to document what the client wants to carry out a project.
For example, in the construction area, a brief would serve for the architect to know the objectives of the person who hires him and the budget he has. If the goal is to build a house, the brief should detail the number of rooms, dimensions, type of material, budget, etc.
In this sense, there are different types:
- Advertising brief. Provides brand information and defines, among other things, the objectives to be achieved with the advertising campaign, the target or public, and the budget. Based on this report, the work team will think about strategies to complete the project’s success.
- Design Brief. Design is a discipline that focuses on problem-solving. Therefore, it will collect detailed information on the business problem that must solve.
- Marketing Brief. It allows for building the identity of the brand. It serves to communicate the values that your products and services represent. This document is prepared as a cover letter that the brands will deliver to their clients.
- Business Brief. Like the previous ones, the business brief is used to present concrete ideas, in this case, focused on objectives, budget, financing, etc.; its purpose will be to demonstrate the project’s potential to attract and obtain investors.
Elements of a good briefing
Behind every successful venture, there is a good briefing. Find out what elements your project brief should contain.
- Introduction. Here is the presentation of the enterprise. It is a brief but concise description of the brand’s origin, background, and context.
- Overall objective. Defining what you want to achieve with the campaign or action that is being considered is the heart of the brief. Simplicity is the key to lens development. You must specify what expectations the brand has about the project: what do you want to solve? Do you want to change or reinforce the image? Do you want to position a new product in the market?
- Target. Must define the public to which the project is directed. Both demographic data, age or gender, and consumption characteristics (habits, behaviors) are essential to know what kind of people you want to reach.
- Job Description. Each relevant step is listed and described, so the team knows which strategy to apply. Some questions that you have to answer in the description are: what is needed for the development of the project? What professionals? What materials?
- Key benefit. What do you want to convey with the project? What characteristic value phrase do you wish to transmit and position in the public’s mind?
- Budget. It is essential to be specific in the costs so that the client or brand knows how much funding they will need to complete the work.
- Deadline. It is crucial to establish times according to the production process. However, suppose it is necessary to make an adjustment and shorten them. In that case, it is essential to specify the fixed and variable costs.
We hope this article has cleared up your doubts about preparing a brief.
Finally, we recommend that you consider these tips if you are about to invest in your own business. Plan, set goals, define your resources, and show the world what you are capable of doing.